Friday, December 7, 2012

"The Words We Say..." (7 Dots Studio)

Good morning, my friends~! I'm so glad that it's Friday and the weekend is upon us! So much decorating to finish and baking to get done...I cannot wait :). I probably won't accomplish much scrappy-wise, but I did complete a project early this morning that I've been working on since yesterday that I'm very excited to share with you :).

There's this quote that I saw on Pinterest a while back that I just loved and saved it to my computer, hoping to find a way to display it in my home as a constant reminder. But as is what happens with much that I see and save to my computer...it was forgotten. Until yesterday morning, while cruising Pinterest once again, I came across the same quote. I was like "Okay! Let's get this one off the computer and onto the wall so you won't forget it again!" I knew I wanted to do a canvas (I'm on a bit of a canvas kick lately...which you will discover later this month, lol), but wasn't sure how I wanted to execute it. But then I saw a reminder on Facebook about the 7 Dots Studio "Flea Market" challenge to use Thread, Twine, or Wire on a project and I knew that was it!!

Here is what I ended up with...I've got a little tutorial for you too, if interested :).

"The Words We Say..."
This is an 11" x 14" canvas, which is the largest I've ever done. But it was so nice to have the "room" for this quote and it worked out perfectly! I've got lots of closeups for you too, but let me start with a little bit on how I went about putting this project together...

 Apply a thick coat of gesso all over the entire canvas. I used some strips of paper from the 7 Dots Studio "Domestic Goddess" collection, which I based the colors of my project on. I applied more gesso on top of these paper pieces as well.

 Add tissue paper, using the gesso as "glue", using your fingers to "adhere" it to the canvas. I then used a large foam stamp to create the faint Poppies on the right side of the canvas. Add some masking with modeling paste, throw on some seed beads in various colors, and randomly apply glossy accents throughout.

My original idea for this project did not include pictures, but I just couldn't help myself! If I want this piece to serve as a reminder to myself about what I say to my children, their beautiful faces should be right there along with it! So I used some twine, photos, and some tags (also from the "Domestic Goddess" collection) to command the left side of my canvas, where my embellishing would later come into play as well.

 Next, add your title/quote. THIS was a struggle for me! I've never been good at creating long titles, so this part took quite some time! But in the end, I'm pleased with how even it ended up being! I've used alpha stickers from the "Domestic Goddess" collection as well :).

Next, add your flowers and other details! This is always my most favorite part of any project that I do. I love to embellish. I used a variety of flowers, thread, beads, baubles, resin pieces, etc. But my favorites are these little wire hearts which I covered in gesso and then added a pile of beads, glitter, and glossy accents:
These were inspired in part by Encza's GORGEOUS tag, which  you can see in the challenge post. It's amazing, as are all of the projects!!

Here are a few (well, that's a lie- a LOT) more closeups for you...







Phew!! Are you still with me?? :) 

Thanks so much for taking a look and surviving my LENGTHY post. I hope you all have a GREAT weekend and are all surviving the holiday prep!

Take care :)~

40 comments:

Scrapodelie said...

Обалденная красота! Изумительно!

Buffy Burnside said...

that's just beautiful!

Keren Tamir said...

Absolute beauty. Love all the texture a winner for sure

Ella Swan said...

Amazing project Erin! Absolutely lovely - in all ways!!

Laurie said...

this is so pretty Erin, thanks for the tutorial, I have always wondered how you create all the layers and texture, something I have yet to try! your kids will appreciate this someday :)

Missy Whidden said...

This is so beautiful, Erin! I love those embellished hearts...just gorgeous detail. I love the tiny beads :)

Ashley Horton said...

So beautiful, Erin!! Love the tiny photos of each of the kids and the quote is such a great idea to capture!! Stunning as always!

Romy said...

Gosh, this canvas will definitely be a true eye-catcher on your wall! So so gorgeous and I love the quote!

Adriana B said...

breath taking, so beatuiful :)

Athanasia said...

Thank you for the tutorial Erin! It turned really beautiful!!! LOVE the texture!!!!!

morkaren said...

Sikken et smukt og stort arbejde, men det er blevet super flot. knus morkaren.

Lizzy Hill said...

What can I say? just SENSATIONAL:):)!!!!!!

Vivi Morais said...

Erin... I loved this... How can you do this?? It's fabulous!! Congrats!!

xx

Staci said...

There is just so much gorgeousness to look at!! WOW!

Michelle Hernandez said...

Absolutely stunning! LOVE the clear glitter and mini beads! What did you use as a binding agent? I'm currently experimenting because I want to try something like it for my December Daily album. Beautiful project and great sentiment!

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh my goodness! This is stunning. Love the texture you created as well as those wire hearts. Truly a work of art!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous work Erin, really enjoyed reading through your step by step

lizzyc said...

HI.. oh wow, this is stunning.. I love the closeups and the step by step.. a masterpeice and love the quote too.. so important what we speak over our children..

Evgenia Petzer said...

oh my! this is so beautiful!

Angelica said...

Your canvas is absolutely stunning!So much to discover and it´s really trigging my creativity and inspires me to step outside my own comfie-zone :)Your little cuties are adorable , and the quote´s really thought provoking
xx Angelica

Svetlana Austin said...

Erin... i am used to seeing stunning projects on your blog but this one is truly amazing!!!

Svetlana Austin said...

...and you know what? - you are such an inspirational person with all you crafting, bear hunting, apple preserving, baking... the list can carry on for a while! you are such a cool girl!!! ♥

Linda Eggleton said...

Totally gorgeous...and such an awesome step x step! Thanks so much for sharing :)

MiaW said...

This is beautiful. You are very creative.

Anna_Merry_Journal said...

Замечательная работа!Очень люблю ваш блог,работы очень вдохновляют!

Sandra said...

Of course I was still with you to the end of this fabulous post, thanks so much for the step by step tutorial. I love your eye for detail and loved even more that your shared how to create these embellishments.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Soooo clever! What a gorgeous canvas you have created! Lovely design!!!!

Vibeke said...

This is a beauty!! I love it!!:)

Chantalle said...

Wow Erin! Amazing process. You are mega talented!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Simply stunning, Erin!! Love the quotation! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

corinne de france MARCH said...

un super travail! MAGNIFIQUE BRAVO

Bonnie said...

Very beautiful canvas & the quote is very touching! TFS :-)

finnabair said...

Breathtaking!!! Thank you for joining the challenge!!!

Tanya Batrak said...

Great project!!! Thanks for joining 7 Dots challenge :)

Encza said...

It's perfect!

Heidi Kelley said...

Love, love, LOVE!!!!!!!!

Lari Scrap said...

Erin, this is trully amazing! Love all the layers and details! A gorgeous work!!! Thanks for playingQ!!

Irene Tan aka Scrapperlicious said...

this is stunning! Thanks for playing along!

Tara Orr said...

beautifully composed - gorgeous layers and fantastic tutorial!!

Olga Siedlecka said...

Wonderful statemant and great work!