Thursday, July 5, 2012

Guest Designer @ Scrap Africa!

Good morning everybody :). It's an early one for me today- 5:30 AM...my mom called me this morning all excited because after five long days her beloved cat finally came home after getting out of the house and gone missing. This was a huge relief to her- she's owned this cat for 10 years and is like a child to her. So she was so excited that she had to call me! And I'm the type who- if you wake me up- I'm up.

So here we are! But it's okay, I needed to get this post up as my guest designer layout is up at Scrap Africa! After being one of the winners of a challenge the previous month, I was asked to come back and help provide some inspiration alongside their fabulous design team! It's for Sketch #7, and for this layout I decided to go in a different direction and scrap myself. In this photo, I'm out fishing at the lake for the first time this year. I don't know what it is about fishing and hunting, but that time is so peaceful for me. I'm a rather impatient person by nature but for those two hobbies I have endless patience!...

"Moments"

Here is Sketch #7 from Scrap Africa:

And a peek at the details:
Who doesn't love a delicious flower cluster? Really loving those yellow Melissa Frances sprigs I picked up in the C'est Magnifique store- they're so delicate and pretty!

 Gotta say this is my favorite part of my layout. The frame here is actually a part of a gate chipboard set from Scrap FX (Gates A, large scrolls). I cut it down, painted it with gesso and then with texture paste. Then I took a Prima flourish stamp and some ink to stamp the pattern over the top before finally adding some pearls. The "Moments" title is also from Scrap FX.

 Hidden journaling, as usual! If you're like me, you have a lot to say- and it doesn't always look so great right out there front and center. So I usually stick it on a hidden tag so I don't have to restrict how much I write.

For the textured pattern on my background I used the "Fence Frame" template from The Crafter's Workshop along with some texture paste and ink. 

Supplies Used:
~Pink Paislee "Butterfly Garden" paper
~Scrap FX chipboard gate & title
~Prima Marketing flowers
~Melissa Frances yellow sprigs
~Melissa Frances pearls
~Prima Marketing "Fairy Belle" journaling tag
~Martha Stewart Texture Effect
~Prima Marketing Chalk Fluid Edger Pad: Knotted Wood
~gesso, book page, cheesecloth, chain, lace

Scrap FX Chipboard used here:




Thank-you so much to Svetlana and Evgenia for inviting me to guest! And I hope you all take a moment to check out this fab challenge site if you haven't yet! Always great prizes up for grabs and tons of inspiration :).

I hope you're all well...I'll be back soon! Take care,

21 comments:

Georgia Heald said...

Sooo pretty Erin, I am in love with that frame and the textured background. Just gorgeous!

Evgenia Petzer said...

oh, Erin, its so stunning! thank you so much for inspiring our readers!

Heather M said...

Love what you did with the frame. I like the chain element also. Always love the flowers.

sandi said...

Wow! This is just gorgeous! Love the background and the beautiful mix. Perfect take on the sketch!

Unknown said...

Very pretty!! I love all the different textures you've got going on and the way you altered that chippie, looks so neat!!! Beautiful neutrals, too...Love you!

Lauren T said...

Really interesting use of the gate frame. Love the texture.

Linda Eggleton said...

Totally gorgeous, Erin!! I love the textured background, the stunning cluster with the muslin poking out here & there....and the CB frame with the chain connected. Awesome take on the sketch!

So glad to hear that your mum's cat has come home...I can imagine how happy she is :) Have a great day!

Adriana B said...

so fabulous, love all the textures and details, so stunning is that photo too :)

GLOANN said...

Erin, love how you give us all the closeups of the details. I like to look at them then scroll back to see how that part fits into the whole picture. The gate is so neat. I think I'm going to start doing more hidden journaling. The story needs to be told, but sometimes I don't necessarily want to tell the whole world!

Di Garling said...

Totally exquisite Erin. Love everything about it. Cheers Di xo

Laurie said...

Erin, this is just beautiful, love the frame around your photo, and of course the flowers are gorgeous! the soft colors make the fun photo really stand out :)

Andrea said...

too cool! I love that photo and everything you do with gesso. Its really neat. I wouldn't even know how to begin using it! That frame is really neat.

Missy Whidden said...

This is so pretty, Erin. My favorite part is the chain attached to the frame...it reminds me of a fish caught on a line! Such a perfect detail for this page :)

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Such an amazing LO, and so perfect for this serene photo!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Mary Pat Siehl said...

what a wonderufl lalyout!

Carin McDonough said...

Stunning and the layout just radiates the peace you said you feel while you are fishing :)

Rachael Funnell said...

That Frame/gate sure does look FANTASTIC.... CONGRATS on the GDT Spot This layout is TOTALLY SUPERB!!!! Have a Awesome Weekend!! x

Ashley Horton said...

Congrats on being a Guest Designer, Erin!! I love that pretty frame around your photo and the texture you create on your background paper is always awesome!!

Lizzyc said...

Hi.. oh wow.. this is stunning.. so many gorgeous details.. and all of it I love!!

Jasmine S said...

Stunning. The frame hanging like that, the photo, the flowers, masking, texture, should I go on? Love it.

Eila Sandberg said...

Congrats on your GD gig!! Love the feel to this page, it has all of the serenity and calmness you are describing when fishing. The other ladies have really said it so well; this is utter gorgeousness with its background work and that darling frame, very clever!! xoxo